Thursday, October 4, 2018

My Top 5 Favorite Halloween Movies

I love scary movies. I love them all year round. Horror movies for me is a way to get that little shot of adrenaline, a little taste of fear without actually leaving my house. I don't know why but it makes me feel like I'm being risky. Because I know that the movie I'm about to watch is going to bring on my anxiety, make my chest tight, make my heart race. But I do it anyway. 

Does that make my life a little sad? That scary movies at home are one of the ways I get a little variety and excitement in my life? Well, I don't think so. I love my life. I love my routine of doing almost the same thing everyday with my kids.

Some days though, when I'm feeling an itch to get a little jumpy, I force my husband to watch a scary movie with me. Now you won't find many, if at all, gory movies on my top 5 favorite Halloween films. Why? Because I want suspension, I want anxiety, I want to feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. And movies like Saw, Final Destination, or Wrong Turn (awful movie) just either gross me out or make me laugh. 


My top 5 Horror Movies:


1. The Quiet Place

Starring Emily Blunt and John Krasinski, the film is set in a post-apocalyptic America. Barely any dialogue in the film, but to me that only added to the anxiety when the extremely terrifying alien invaders come running at any noise to tear into the source it came from. These parents with young children try to survive while making as minimal noise as possible, the suspense keeps you on your toes. Especially when an unexpected pregnancy comes into play. A parents worst nightmare.

2. Annabelle: Creation

Annabelle Creation is the fourth movie in The Conjuring universe even though it is set to occur before all the previous movies. (Except for The Nun which I have not seen yet.) I honestly love the whole franchise but if I had to pick a favorite one so far it would be this one. A secretive couple with a tragic past, a nun, and a bunch of orphans. One of said orphans can barely move around on her own and it has you on the edge of your seat as she struggles to get away from the evil entity living in the doll.


3. The Grudge

Even just looking at this photo I had to turn on the lights, it just gives me the heebie-jeebies. I have a thing against creepy dead girls crawling on the floor. Even though the lines are cheesy, it still gets me every time. You're constantly left with this what the hell is going on feeling as the story line jumps around a little bit. And yet you still jump when something scary happens. Scarier than this version is the original 2002 Japanese version Ju-on: The Grudge. If you're willing to read subtitles. 


 4. Mama

Starring Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau who are both insanely talented actors in themselves. Two sisters are rescued by their uncle after being lost in the woods for years all alone. Or were they? Something was helping them survive. And "Mama" does not like sharing her girls with the new family. She wants to make the girls hers and only hers, forever. The noises she makes will leave you with unnerving chills down your spine. You won't hear the word mama the same way again.



5. The Boy

Ok, so maybe I have a thing against dolls too. The film starts off as just odd when a hired nanny finds out she was hired to take care of a doll. Of course she treats it as a joke at first, and the doll retaliates. The nanny quickly starts to take him more seriously and treats him as if he were a living boy despite his creepy nature. This movie surprised me though, a very secretive plot twist. Which is why it made it to my list. If I do not see it coming, then a film has succeeded in getting my attention.


It was incredibly difficult to pick out 5 films out of all the horror movies I've seen. I love the classics too I really do, but with the technology we have now, it is way easier to get me scared if it is a recent release. I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I had fun making it! Thanks for reading :)


What is your favorite Horror Film?

No comments:

Post a Comment