Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Planet Fitness Work Out #1

I will admit I am drinking a glass of wine while I type this and that's not a good thing to do when you're dieting. But red wine has been proven to help prevent congestive heart failure and according to my lab results I could use some help.

So it's been 3 months since I've had the baby, I'm back to pre-baby weight thanks to breastfeeding for the first two months. But I am still 10 pounds over the weight I started with before I had my first child Lily, 5 years ago. 

And I honestly probably could lose a little more than that.

So to keep myself motivated to keep writing and to see my progress in writing of possible weight loss, I'm going to keep a log of it on here.


Starting Today

Today I am 163 lbs, and I have been that way for 5 years. Sometimes less a few pounds but never more than that. It feels like I have been stuck. 

I have done on and off diets and exercises but have always quit because it seems like I don't get anywhere and when I eat what I want I don't gain anything either. 

It is not a healthy lifestyle though, so even if I still can't lose weight at least I can possibly live a longer life with healthier choices.

So today, I am quitting pop, trying to minimize bad and unhealthy foods, and exercising. 

For the second time in my life I decided to join a gym.

Why Planet Fitness

The first time I joined a gym, it was Anytime Fitness. I joined them because my brother recommended it and he seemed to enjoy it. 24 access to a gym with unlimited tanning (I never once went tanning there.)

One of the million reasons why Planet is better than Anytime is because they offer both of those things for 5 dollars less.

And they have even more to offer.

Hydro-massage beds, massage chairs, unlimited free fitness training by actual trainers, total body enhancement (red light therapy machines.)

I had considered joining them for a few months but what really got me was their special they were running for 0 dollars down and no monthly commitment, offer expiring November 14th. 

Sold me.

That's the one thing that was holding me back was having that monthly commitment. Now something I don't have to worry about.

My Warm Up

 I am by no means an athlete, so this is not meant to tell you exactly how you should work out at the gym. Not at all. 

This is just what I chose to do today based on my preferences and needs.

I started with the Total Body Enhancement for a pre-work out.

You don't actually work out, you just stand there while this big tanning bed looking thing shines a wonder light on you while it vibrates all your fat. 

I chose to do this cause I heard great things about how it gives you more energy and helps to reduce soreness after work out.

There are also other claims saying it helps with stretch marks, loose skin, cellulite. All things I wish to God it helped with. But I am unconvinced until I see real results.

I'll have to test the theory again, but I did feel like I could exercise more this time. My stamina felt higher. Could be the first-time gym experience high but we'll see. 

I'll see how I feel tomorrow about the sore muscles theory.


Cardio

Would I like to lose pounds? Yes. But my main goal is to be healthier and to live a longer life for my children. And my heart rate is scary.

I am 25 years old and my heart rate with mild to slightly moderate exercise was 160 and counting.

My main machines when I get to the gym are going to be the treadmill and elliptical. Occasional weights. Some core.



I started on the treadmill and tried not to push myself too hard. No running but just very brisk walking with incline. 20 minutes of that.

Took a break from cardio, did 15 reps of 12.5 lbs (slightly smaller than the infant I carry at home all the time.)

Then went back to cardio on the elliptical. My heart rate was the worst on this machine I tried to keep it around 170 but I couldn't be on it for long. Not because I lost stamina, if anything I had plenty of energy but my breathing wasn't the greatest.

Thought I would push myself a little more on the weights, so I returned to do 20 reps of 15 lbs.

Ended my work out back on the treadmill for 15 minutes of brisk walking again and then 5 minutes of cool down.

I ended up not doing core at the gym because I for real could not figure out how to use the machines and felt awkward asking a gym employee.


Cool Down

A nice feature of the Planet Fitness machines is that they automatically cool down your work out for you at the end. Putting you at the right speed. So if you truly want to do 15 minutes on the treadmill set the timer for 12 to allow the 3 minutes of cool down.

I am not only exercising but trying to eat healthier and count my calories with an app called Lose It.

I've used the app before and love how wide the variety is in their food library. I just scan whatever I am about to eat and it automatically adds the calories. I tell it what I did for exercise and it subtracts it automatically.

I am hoping to lose all the baby weight and more until I am at a point where I feel happy looking at myself in the mirror again.

Like I said I am not an athlete, so please feel free to share your advice and comments on the best methods and exercises that helped you lose your weight. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment