Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Finding The Right Formula: Trial and Error

Throw Your Expectations Out The Window

This is a general rule of thumb when you approach all aspects of parenting. But mainly today we'll be tackling your expectations of formula brands in this.

I don't know how it happened, but we are all convinced that a baby has to have either Enfamil or Similac brands. Mainly because they are used in hospitals and so we believe they are the best and healthiest options. 

That is not necessarily true. It is completely okay to buy off brand formulas. 

Over the past few months I've become adept in ingredient comparing. I've noticed there is little to no difference in off brand ingredients. 

Benefits To Brand Names

That being said there are benefits to using common brand name formulas.

  1. They are available at more locations.
  2. There are coupons available to offset the cost.
  3. There are more feeding options i.e. powder form and ready-to-feed liquid.

Cons to Brands

  1. The cost
  2. The coupons are not unlimited and also a hassle because you have to remember them every time you go.

Benefits to Off Brand

  1. The cost is significantly cheaper and store brands will run tons of sales on them.
  2. Your baby might like them better - they are comparable to their brand name counter parts but they sometimes use different protein isolates in their "gentler" formulas. That difference might just be what your little one needs.
  3. You'll get more value for your dollar when you buy the value sizes. For example $20 dollars for 33 oz of formula.

Cons to Off Brand

  1. Only available at select locations for the store brand of your choosing.


Switching To A New Formula

You've decided to try a different brand. Whether it be because your baby seems uncomfortable with the one they're on or you've discovered just how expensive it can be having a formula fed baby.

There is no shame in looking for a cheaper option. Especially when there are cheaper and just as healthy solutions out there. 


Step One: Compare ingredients. If you're looking for a store brand formula that's close to if not exactly like a name brand compare ingredients to find a good match. There are better brands than others. Watch the sugar content in these formulas.
Step Two: Once you find the right one, slowly transition your baby to the new formula. For an easier transition start putting a 1/4 of the new formula in your babies bottle for a few days. 

Step Three: 1/2 of the new formula in the bottle.
Step Four: And lastly before making the complete switch 3/4 of new formula. Use the length of time for each step at your transgression. 

Switching Brands Regularly

If you still have your doubts on if you chose the right formula and want to continue to try different options.

Wait at least a few days before trying each one, it takes awhile for the last one to leave the baby's system which might be why he's still cranky. So don't give up on the new one yet.

If it's been a few days and you still believe there is a better option you can continue to transition to other formulas to find the best fit.

Are you worried because someone has told you it's better to not switch formulas because it can hurt a baby's tummy? 

There is an article I read by physician Dr. Shari Nethersole, a doctor at at Children's Hospital in Boston where she answers the question "Can an infant be given a variety of formulas?" To which her answer was:

"There is no medical reason why a healthy infant cannot take a variety of infant formulas, but there are a few issues to consider."

She goes on to explain that it is more of an issue on the baby refusing to take a certain formula because of the differences in taste. Or in the case of a baby with a lactose intolerance or milk allergy.


Read full article here: https://www.familyeducation.com/life/formula/can-infant-be-given-variety-formulas

There's another article by Wendy Sue Swanson, MD on the blog Seattle Mama Doc. She said something very interesting that stuck with me: 

"Think of it this way: babies who are breast-fed have a slightly different milk each and every meal due to mom's variant diet. Although fat, calories, and protein count remain constant, flavor and variety changes. A slightly different recipe at every feed." 

Read full article here: https://seattlemamadoc.seattlechildrens.org/mix-and-match-goldilocks-formula/

In My Own Experience

As I've said in previous posts my child was completely breastfed until I noticed growing discomfort; diarrhea, gas, trouble sleeping, and excessive spit up. 

At the advice of my doctor we had to eliminate dairy from my diet or I needed to stop breastfeeding and put him on a dairy free formula like soy or a hypoallergenic formula like alimentum/nutrimagen.

I was a wuss and couldn't stop eating dairy and decided to go with the soy since it was the cheaper option. I thought to myself no ones ever said soy isn't good for them. 

I will admit I was completely wrong. 

Either way it was a moot point since my son definitely had a soy allergy. I wrote all about my horrible urgent care visit with him in a previous post.
12.1 Ounces $25.98

We started him on alimentum and used Similac coupons that helped a ton. But if you've ever seen it in store. Hypoallergenic is so incredibly expensive. 

And even though he was no longer having diarrhea. I still was unconvinced that he had a legitimate milk allergy. That was just the first thing people think of when a baby was as uncomfortable as him. 

But he was still having awful spit up, I mean awful. It was always half of the bottle back up. I swear I smelled like baby puke every single day. 

He was sleeping just fine on the allimentum but I still wanted to try just a gentle formula but not necessarily hypoallergenic.
22.5 Ounces $28.99

So I thought I'd try Similac Pro-Total Comfort. And he's done fine on it, still no diarrhea, no excessive gas, sleeping 12 hours a night. Consistently.

I'll admit I've been lucky.

Except for his spit up. That was still horrible. We made an appointment for him and he definitely has re-flux. He is now on Zantac.

Now I don't know if it was the re-flux that always made him so uncomfortable really. And I didn't need to quit breastfeeding and he would've just been fine if I had known earlier. Now I'll never know. 

My baby is happy now so that's the most important thing. 

33.2 Ounces $20.99
Big Savings!
And since he was doing so well on the Pro-Total Comfort. I thought I'd take my savings one step further and try the Meijer Gentle store brand. I compared the ingredients and they are virtually very close. 

He's been on it for a week now and has still been an extremely happy baby. It's been a real improvement from the earlier months. 

Conclusion

It may take time and patience but you will find the formula that is best for your baby. 

Do your research, compare ingredients. There are better types than others. If you want to find cheaper options there is no shame in that. 

Also trust your gut, if you feel like your little one is uncomfortable because of their food, don't second guess yourself. 


Disclaimer: This article is to be used for general use only and based solely on my own personal experience . Do not use in place of medical consultation or advice. Always consult your doctor first on what they think is best for you or you child.


What formulas did you try before you found the right one?

No comments:

Post a Comment