Monday, November 26, 2018

Modge Podge Wooden Letters

One super fun and easy creative outlet for me is making custom letters. You can do this for a nursery, wall decor, for any room really. I made mine for my son's nursery, wall decor for our living room, and our daughters room.


What You'll Need:

    I got this from Hobby Lobby
  • Modge Podge Glue (matte or gloss whatever you prefer)
  • Sponge or regular brushes (I prefer sponge brushes, they apply more evenly)
  • Assorted scrap book paper designs. Ones that will coordinate with each other.
  • Wooden letters
  • Scissors and Pencil (not necessary but an execto knife will help with detailing after)
  • Paint if your painting the edges a certain color.

How To Start

There are multiple ways to do this but I choose to turn the scrap book paper over so the design is facing down and laying the letter upside down as well. Tracing on that side around the edges with a pencil. 

Make sure you line up the design on the scrap book paper to show the image you want on your letter.

If you're painting the edges of the letter do this now and then wait for it to dry before gluing the paper.

I don't like to have a border around the design but if you do when you cut, start at where you traced and then gradually cut away until you get the border you want. 

Tip: If you're using a scrapbook paper with words or phrases on it make sure they are small enough to actually be able to read it on the letter.

PS Tip: Use child scissors, they make curves and edges so much easier to get around! 

Start Modge Podging

As I've said before I prefer a sponge brush because it spreads evenly and this is very important when using modge podge. 

When using scrapbook paper it can bubble very easily underneath. You want to apply a very light thin layer of modge podge on the letter.

I do this in sections. Peeling backing the paper one section at a time and applying the glue before laying the paper on it.

And smooth smooth smooth your hand across it making sure it is flat and no bubbles. Wait at least 20 minutes for drying time before applying top coat. 

Also this is a perfect time to use your execto knife if you have one to turn the letter over and go over all the spots you might have not missed while cutting. Detailing these edges will make it look much more professional. 

Applying The Top Coat

You will probably need one or two coats of modge podge glue for this. You'll use the glue a little more liberally this time. You may see bubbles, this is normal and they will flatten out once it dries.

Go over it in one direction vertically or horizontally whatever you prefer. Slowly, it'll keep it from bubbling so much.

Wait at least 20 minutes.

Then go over it in the other direction the same as the first way.

When using matte modge podge it'll make it look like a nice canvas design.

You will need to wait for the glue to completely cure before hanging it on the wall. 24-48 hours after finishing.

Conclusion:

Finished project for my daughters
room.
This is a super fun easy hobby for anyone to learn. Trust me I have never been a crafty person but this was very easy for me to accomplish. This homemade craft is a perfect gift for Christmas, baby showers, wedding showers, etc. 

I plan on using this method to make coasters for my family at Christmas. Be sure to use dishwasher modge podge if you get the idea to do the same :)

If you want to see a step by step video tutorial here is the one I watched to get me started. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQoBbV5mA1I&t=184s















No comments:

Post a Comment